Today, Leon Benoit, the Alliance Defence Critic is starting a campaign to bring back the Airborne Regiment and we need your help.

You can help to bring back the Airborne Regiment by downloading this petition (click here and save), printing it out, then collecting at least 25 signatures. Once the petition is complete, mail it to the office of Leon Benoit, MP, at 613 Justice Building, House of Commons, Ottawa, ON, K1A 0A6.

Click on Continue reading just below for full instructions on filling out the petition. Let’s make a difference.

Instructions for completing and submitting the petition:

• The petition must be printed on sheets of paper of usual size, i.e. 8 1/2 x 11 inches or 8 1/2 x 14 inches.
  • The text of the petition must not be altered by erasing, crossing out or adding words.
  • Nothing may be attached or appended to or written on the petition, whether in the form of additional documents, pictures, requests for support, etc.
  • The petition must contain a minimum of 25 valid signatures, each with the address of the petitioner.
  • Each petitioner must sign his or her own name directly on the petition and must not sign for anyone else. Names should be signed, not printed. Signatures cannot be attached to a sheet (taped or pasted on) or photocopied onto it. If a petitioner cannot sign because of illness or a disability, this must be noted on the petition and the note signed by a witness.
  • The petitioner’s address must be written directly on the petition and not pasted on or reproduced. The petitioner may give his or her full home address or simply the city and province.
  • Only persons resident in Canada may petition the House of Commons of Canada.

13 Responses to “Help Bring Back the Airborne Regiment”

1. on 11 Jun 2003 at 4:03 pmKelsey Hutchinson

hi i am in grade 11 and am a bvery good student that will be graduating in 1 year from now all i have ever dreamed of is being a paratrooper. but sence 1995 it will have been imposible to be a proud canadian soldier in the airbore i do realize that canada does have some airborne troops but they are not what they used to be i would really love to see canada get the airborne back to what it used to be. I would be more that honoured to be a canadain paratropper i will show my support for this wounderful act in bringing back the canadian AIRBORNE

2. on 11 Jun 2003 at 4:11 pmClay

Excellent web site, good to see it. As a serving member of 1 RCHA, I’m slated for my jump course this fall and find out about this petition has given me new hope of going to were I always wanted to serve in the forces. I will be passing this around our Regiment. Good luck and keep up the good work.
    Ubique

3. on 19 Jun 2003 at 2:04 pmDany L'Écuyer

I got my jump wings last summer as a cadet, now I’m gonna join the reg force in few months and I always dreamed to serve in the airborne regiment, so I would be very proud if I’m able to serve as a paratrooper.

4. on 06 Jul 2003 at 11:34 pm8101 coin#3000

Why bring back the name and history of the Airborne? I see a 25 year history of mismanagement of the resource. Does Canada want a version of a U.S. Ranger battalion (maybe to support JTF ops), or Special Forces ‘A’ teams (wrong mandate, wrong country), or what? Explain the need, and I’ll give you my answer. Show me what operational void JTF and the reg bn’s aren’t filling.

5. on 07 Jul 2003 at 2:22 pmDan Jaworski

As with the first posting, I also just completed my Grade 11 year. I plan to attend RMC to get into the forces. (I know what you’re thinking, I hope to eliminate that stereotype through my leadership) The Airborne has always been a dream of mine. I have talked with ex-members to find out as much about airborne life as I can. To have the oppourtunity to reinstate the CAR, is something great. Hopefully I can fill 2 or 3 petitions.

AIRBORNE,
    Dan Jaworski

6. on 04 Aug 2003 at 10:04 amWilliam Collins

After serving 20 years in the military,my proudest memories are the years I spent in the Airborne Regiment. We were some of the best trained soldiers around,and nobody could touch us on exercise. Even after 20 years since my last jump,I still fondly remember the people and some of our accomplishments…and I proudly wear the Airborne hat badge on my arm as a tattoo. They might have disbanded the Regiment…but they can never kill the Airborne spirit!!!
    William Collins,Cpl (Ret`d) Coin #1398

7. on 20 Aug 2003 at 10:25 amRyan Hummel

The disbandment of the Canadian Airborne Regiment was completely inequitable.
    The Canadian Government was trying to cover their tracks by punishing a whole Regiment and its friends, this wrong must be righted.
    My whole family is and or was military, I grew up around Paratroopers at my Uncle’s camp site “Pine Valley” in stone cliff Ontario, and these men were brave and honorable soldiers. The right for me to try out for the Airborne was taken away from me; this is an injustice which I will fight to the end.

Ryan C Hummel

8. on 16 Sep 2003 at 1:41 pmCrow

It makes me feel very sick to hear, once again, the military budget has been cut.

In fact, when I hear that stuff, I am filled with rage.

Why don’t they respect us?

9. on 10 Nov 2003 at 8:02 pmNick Smith

I’m an engineer in the reserves while going to school and I did my Para course in March 2003. I’m looking forward and hoping that they re-instate the Airborne Regiment. I’m joining the reg. force 2 CER so that I can br part of a jump company.

10. on 19 Dec 2003 at 11:24 pmTristan Smith

It sickens me to no end how our government and alot of our nation treats our armed forces
    The Disbandment of the Regiment was nothing but an all out betray’ll of our soldiers by a bunch of cowardly politicians to save their bureaucratic puppets in the defence department. Only way to make it better is to bring the Regiment back in name and spirit

11. on 03 Mar 2004 at 2:03 pmgeorge

death from above,the airborn rule

12. on 03 Mar 2004 at 2:03 pmgeorge

death from above,the airborn rule

13. on 20 Apr 2004 at 10:42 pmR.B. NICHOLSON

Growing up in Alberta, the Airborne regiment were as potent a symbol of Canada as the RCMP. I was bloody proud to have a group of men of such calibre serving our great country.

I believe the Airborne will not be reinstated…however there is a need for a Ranger-like btn to back up JTF2 operations…it is possible that this organization might inherit the battle honours of the AIrborne….

At the same time, the AIrborne spirit lives large in the hearts of our young paras in the para companies.