Media Biases

I woke up this morning to the news on the radio. Leading off was a video tape of RCMP officers making racist remarks. This was followed by the ongoing story of corruption in the Toronto police drug squad. Seventeen members had been under investigation for numerous crimes including assault, perjury, drug trafficking, extortion, etc. In the end, 6 had been charged. Next, the story switched to a senior police officer stating that the investigations will give the community confidence in the integrity of the remaining drug squad members. A leading criminologist then came on and stated that the public is unwilling to believe that this was anything more than a few bad apples.

Where were the calls for disbandment? Why are politicians silent? Why are people defending them? Why the balanced views hearing both sides of the story? Why does the Canadian public continue to support every public institution except for the military whose men and women risk their lives daily around the world defending the ideals Canadians believe in?

Of course there was no-one defending us, we were under a gag order and we obeyed that order as we had every other one. We were condemned men unable to defend ourselves and trusting our superiors and the government to do it for us. We had sacrificed so much to defend our country, surely they would do the same for us? We were naive I guess, NDHQ betrayed us and left us to the wolves…

I guess I am still bitter.

12 Responses to “Media Biases”

1. on 21 Jan 2004 at 4:29 pmAnonymous

Its bullshit, you should be still be bitter

2. on 21 Jan 2004 at 4:30 pmAnonymous

It was bullshit, you should still be bitter.

3. on 21 Jan 2004 at 4:42 pmRoger

I heard the same news item on the news on my way to work, its odd but I was thinking exactly the same thing. Funny how things work out, I will never forgive Chretien.

4. on 21 Jan 2004 at 7:32 pm3 CDO 88-91

Ya, isn’t that interesting. I was in Plattsburgh NY on July 4 last summer and I was talking to a bar owner. He told me our drinks were on the house (4 drinks) just because I USED to be in the Airborne in Canada and we both believed in having a complete military. Funny though that type of thing has never happened to me in this country. Maybe I’m too young yet… I’m only 40! Nobody gives a damn. There all too busy steping on each other.
    The Liberals said for years that there was no money for training but they found a billion dollars to waste on arms registration pretty quick…. or wait a minute, the new improved Prime Minister scrapped that plan… Doesn’t that make it all better? As if it is supposed to. Wow thanks Jack…Off. That is as good as wasting 500 million on that chopper deal for cancelling the PC’s agreement on buying them and waiting 10 + years to wake up and make another deal. The truth is no politician has spent a day in a real military outfit. Our last Defence Minister was an expert in military affairs because he spent a couple of days in the army CADETS. Did you pack a lunch honey… dress warm now. Mommy gives you a big kiss. He’s probably telling folks he risk his life in Afghanistan before he got FIRED!!! lol

O.K. CSIS write down my email address if you can all stay awake long enough for that. Anyway got to go… theres a van pulling up outside………….static.
    AIRBORNE!

5. on 22 Jan 2004 at 12:37 amBrian Koshul

Rob: Powerful and well written statement.
    You should consider revising a little to identify yourself as a former member of the CAR – add – “and the Government” after betrayed by the NDHQ, then send to as many newspaper Letters To the Editor sections as you can.

Good on ya!

6. on 22 Jan 2004 at 9:34 amRob

Judging by the flurry of comments, I guess I hit a nerve that is still a bit raw. I’m glad that I am not the only one who is bothered by these things. Then again, I guess I am amoungst friends here…

7. on 24 Jan 2004 at 12:50 amDonald K Munroe

The country of Canada is going to hell
    in a handbasket mainly because this nation
    is bankrupted when it comes to our leaders
    at all levels of government, whether civil,
    provincial or federal. They are spineless,
    gutless pussies to the core, that shake like
    a bowl of jelly, to say the least.

It’s no wonder why terrorists from the Middle
    East can very easily enter our country.

Canada desperately needs leaders, who have
    balls & backbone, who are NOT AFRAID to stand
    up for truth, regardless of the consequences.

8. on 24 Jan 2004 at 10:41 pmdc

Hey,I’m not even in the army,but I can totally identify with being hung out to dry by some weenie who won’t ever have to look you in the eye or justify what they’ve done.It really is a shame,but somehow I don’t think the Canadian public would stand for it now,in 2004.Maybe times have changed,maybe not.

9. on 29 Jan 2004 at 8:41 pmChris Willems

I totally agree, our media is completly bias and manipulated by politics and money. I did try to support the troops when the gag order was issued. I called in to radio talk shows and did a couple tv spots, but I found that they to had an agenda to sensationalize the actions of a few individuals and gain ratings. The pride of our Airborne Regiment burns in my viens to this day and always will.

10. on 03 Feb 2004 at 10:28 amG Paul Karcha

I guess it is time we all came realize that the time of a government raising armed forces for the defence of their country is long over. The military is nothing more than a political tool to advance the causes of the reigning political party. I say ‘reigning’ because when was the last time anyone sent a candidate of their choice to represent them in Ottawa. I would say never in the last 50 years. We only get to vote for those individuals that the political parties choose for us (unless they voted for an independant member). So how can we trust this type of structure to use our institutions for their correct purposes. We can’t. They will only use them to further their own purposes for control and power. We have a good country. But if we want it to stay that way it is time for the individual citizen to step forward and commit to taking on the responsibility of defending our country. We are responsible for keeping our homes safe and secure. Let’s not leave it to the politicians who don’t really give a damn. If anyone wants to say anything to me about this send an email.

11. on 21 Feb 2004 at 9:22 pmBobby

Rob

With all due respect the members making the racist remarks were OPP Officers and not RCMP.

As an OPP officer I find these remarks offensive and embarrasing.

Just want to set the record straight.

12. on 23 Mar 2004 at 5:45 pmMike Akpata

Quit your snivelling, you fucking lawndart.