03 Aug 1958 – 22 Jul 2007

A fighter to the very end, Rod finally succumbed to cancer at the young age of 48.

Born at Gaspe, Quebec, the family moved at an early age to Shawinigan, Quebec where he grew up. After graduating from Shawinigan High School, and a short career as a traveling salesman, he joined the Canadian Armed Forces serving as a Patricia (PPCLI) with the Canadian Airborne Regt, finally retraining as an Aero Engine Tech with the Canadian Air Force. During Rod’s career, from October 1978 until his retirement in October 1994, he not only served his country, but also served 2 tours with the United Nations in Cyprus.

Fair winds and soft landings, Jumper!

9 Responses to “Henry Alvin Roderick (Rod) Wiseman”

1. on 30 Aug 2007 at 4:30 pmScully

Rod was always one of the kindest souls in the Commando, a guy who’d be the first with a hand on a shoulder for someone who needed one there, or just a hand to help if that’s all that was required. I had not seen him in over 25 years but kind souls like Rods’ are never forgotten.

2. on 30 Aug 2007 at 6:54 pmBlaster

God we are losing a real spate of guys this year and all relatively young too.

Rest in Peace, brother.

3. on 31 Aug 2007 at 5:08 pmJesse

It has been quite some time since I saw him. A good guy. RIP. js

4. on 02 Sep 2007 at 7:01 amJJ

I am shocked. I saw Rod quite a few times over the last 5 years or so. My condolences to Wendy and family. This is a Sad time for us all. Har did really well for himself and his family. He was a success after the Military.

What an “Honour” for him and all of us to be in this Airborne Family

5. on 03 Sep 2007 at 11:37 amDag

Well, I went through a lot with Rod in the Airborne.
    I can only say that he never gave up no matter what.
    He used to hang around with his buddy Arnold, and I remember he never had a bad word to say about anyone.
    Haven’t seen him since he went to Cyprus in 81, and now I never will.
    RIP Brother.

6. on 03 Sep 2007 at 11:27 pmEd Haines

We served together in Cyprus in 1981. Good soldier, someone who always did his job and more to the highest standards. I remember him well, he will always be remembered. RIP

7. on 17 Sep 2007 at 6:10 pmMonkey

Rod will be missed by all who served with him a great jumper and a great man, keep me a seat we will all meet again, Airborne.

8. on 08 Oct 2007 at 8:46 pmRon (hammy) Hamilton

Well! Another airborne soldier. I first met Rod in Fort Bragg, North Carolina zero dark thirty, 1979 or there abouts. I was singing nf songs and 4 American soldier didn’t like my singing and told me to go to bed or we’ll put you to sleep. Then all-of-a-sudden this guy came around the corner and said,”your going to have to put both of us to sleep.” Rod, I never did thank you for it. May you RIP and Thanks!!!

9. on 09 Oct 2007 at 9:00 amRandy Huber

Rod
    was one of my island Airborne friends. Good luck buddy .. I will follow your brothers Paul’s carreer as he heads back to war. Wendy is strong but she misses you.