Gord Legarie

Several people have contacted me this week to inform me that Gord Legarie has passed away after a long battle with cancer. Frank MacNeil wrote;

I am sorry to say that Gord Legarie, a great soldier, person, friend and jumper has passed away on Jan 9, 2010, he had a very hard battle with cancer that he fought which turned out to be his last. Gord served in the Canadian Airborne Regt, 2 Airborne Commando and the Canadian Airborne School, he will be missed by all, there will be a gathering to celebrate Gord life on Friday Jan 15th at 10 am in Edmonton Alberta, Sherwood Park.

Gord R.I.P.. old buddy you now will help Dave Mack and Bob Hodgson in securing the DZ for the rest of us, we will meet again old brother have a good one.

Airborne…….

Our condolences go out to his family and friends. Rest in Peace brother…

19 Responses to “Gord Legarie”

1. on 15 Jan 2010 at 12:40 amEd McLean

Sorry to hear that Gord has passed away. He was a good soldier, person who always had a smile for anyone. The last time I saw Gord was at RMC. A group of us had jumped into RMC for the Graduation Ceremony as I was packing up my chute I heard a familiar voice calling my name, it was Gord standing in front of me with a smile and Airborne jacket. Standing beside him was his daughter who was graduating from RMC. That how I will remember Gord as a proud father and Airborne soldier.

My condolence to his family.

Rest in Peace

Ed McLean

2. on 15 Jan 2010 at 11:15 amJoe Bentley

Rest in peace my old friend

3. on 15 Jan 2010 at 3:02 pmpackmule

Gord was pleasure to soldier with. Always positive and carrying his share and more of the load. Rest in Peace old friend.

4. on 19 Jan 2010 at 4:37 pmPeter Palmer

Gord was know by many and respected by all. I attended his service on the 15 Jan 2010, in Sherwood Park, I always will remember Gord for his smile, he was a soldier’s soldier. He was someone that we could always depend on regardless of the situation. Gord, you will be missed but not forgotten.

Rest in Peace.

Peter Palmer

5. on 21 Jan 2010 at 2:05 pmC.C.W.O John Godard

I never never met the man; but my heart goes to him and hes family. As an old Navy Seal Team #3 My heat and Family goese out to their family.

Solder Never die, they are in the skies watching You and I

Signed

John Godard
    C.C.W.O.
    RETEIRED

6. on 27 Jan 2010 at 10:07 amPat Mailloux

One time on a nice sunny Edmonton day, we were jumping Twin Otter and I was sitting on the floor, in the door, looking around and Gord hollered ” pay attention to the JM ” as I turned around he kissed me on the lips and boot me out the door and into a summersault I went. When I recovered I was giving the rest of them the finger as they remained on the plane and laughed at me.

I can’t remember ever seeing Gord without a smile on his face. He was certainly a pleasure to serve with.

Condolences to the family and RIP Gord.

7. on 01 Feb 2010 at 11:52 pmZeke Stein

You may be gone but never forgotten until we see you again Gord. It was an honour and a privilege to soldier with you and to serve with you in the Commando. May you rest in peace brother.

8. on 06 Feb 2010 at 7:59 pmAl LaRade

Sad to hear about Gord passing. We work together at CABC Trial and evaluation. A great soldier and a better friend. I have not seen him since 1996, We both had our last jump with the Search and Rescue School. That summer was the last time I saw him. Soft wind and gentle landing my friend.

Al

9. on 07 Feb 2010 at 3:31 amCraig Reid

Gord Legarie was a man I very much liked and respected. Upon my arrival to 1 PPCLI in August 1988, I once worked a range in Wainwright not long after I arrived in the Bn and Gord was the Range 2IC and he always treated us young troops with dignity and respect. I will never forget his can-do attitude and his ability to relate to us. Gord, you were a good man. You will never be forgotten. RIP Gord.

WO Craig Reid (ret) (3PPCLI)

10. on 23 Feb 2010 at 11:35 pmR Comeau

I served with Gord in both the Regiment and In the PPCLI.and also as bussiness partners after we retired.He was one of the best men I met over my time served,a true soldier and better friend. I couldn’t forget him if I wanted to. RIP Gord.

11. on 06 Mar 2010 at 5:00 pmM McLeod

I was shocked to see this today as its first time on the site for me.

I grew up with gord in fort frances and joined up a year and a bit after him and ended up in 1 ppcli in the same company.

I’ve got a great picture of him from ’75 and we took a trip back to fort frances in his el camino that year, an all niter from calgary.

I went up to 2 cdo and took release a year later but kept up with him through family contacts in our home town and last heard he was in wainwright in the early nineities.

My sympathies to his wife and children, I hope he passed his trademark smile on.

12. on 20 May 2010 at 9:37 amLarry Bell

Was shocked to here about Gord.Havent been on site for a bit.My sympathies to Jamie and children.Good friend will never be forgotten RIP Brother

13. on 29 May 2010 at 8:07 amRon (Hammy) Hamilton

It has been an honor and priveledge to have known Gord and I thank you for your wise advice on our year long french course togather……bonjour…..RIP Gord…..

14. on 31 May 2010 at 5:12 pmKevin Lloyd

Gord was a great leader, instuctor, soldier, and friend. He was respected by all who had the pleasure to serve by his side.
    Airborne Old Friend
    Rest In Peace.

15. on 15 Jun 2010 at 8:47 pmDale Allen (CWO ret)

I met Gord in Wainwright Alta in 1983. I was the “supply guy” at the PPCLI Battle School. We shared the same row housing in the PMQs. He and his wife were great role models. On my basic para course in 85, he arranged it so I was the number one on the ramp jump. Thanks Gord! RIP

16. on 28 Aug 2010 at 3:52 amRob MacNeill

I am truly sorry to hear about the passing of Gord. He was my section commander in battles school and my instructor in jump school. He was truly the soldiers soldier. The country is truly a lesser place with out him.

17. on 10 Dec 2010 at 8:54 pmLarry Cook

I am saddened to learn of Gord’s passing away. I served with him in 2CDO back in the 70’s. He always had this great big smile. We were troopers together in Edmonton.
    It was great knowing Gord.
    “Your OK Jumper” from an ole’ JM

18. on 07 Mar 2011 at 3:48 amPatrick Knopp

I was one of the many that Gord helped train. He was a Patricia. He was a professional. But more than that ,he was Airborne. It has been thirty years now, Gord. But I still hear your bike. I still hear your voice and I still hear the calling. Airborne

19. on 28 Jul 2011 at 12:02 pmDave Libbey

Sorry to hear about Gord. I worked for him in the 1st Battalion, A coy. A man with a big smile and a big heart.