Steve was a proud member of 2 Commando, Canadian Airborne Regiment and the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Royal Canadian Regiment.   He was also a qualified Pathfinder.  Steve was a very good friend to all who served with him including many of us on here at Commando . org.  He served 20 years in the Canadian Forces stationed at Gagetown, Edmonton, Petawawa, London and Cyprus.  He retired from the Forces after 20 years of dedicated service to his country.  He will be sadly missed by his family and all his Airborne and RCR brothers.

Fair winds and soft landings Brother.

22 Responses to “R.I.P. Sergeant Stephen Richard GIFFEN”

1. on 31 Dec 2011 at 3:38 pmTim

Fair winds my brother!!! Airborne

2. on 31 Dec 2011 at 4:35 pmGB

Served with Steve in the Regiment. Great Soldier and a allround good guy. Haven’t seen him for about two or three years. R.I.P. Brother.

3. on 31 Dec 2011 at 8:33 pmEd Haines

Wow, served with Steve in 2 Cdo 79-81. met up with him in Cornwallis in 88 training recruits. He was full of life, hard to believe he is gone. All the best to family, a great soldier!
    RIP Steve.

4. on 01 Jan 2012 at 12:29 amWilliam Collins

I served with Steve in 2 Cdo. He was a good friend and an awesome soldier! Fair winds and soft landings brother. Airborne all the way!!

5. on 01 Jan 2012 at 12:31 amMonkey MacNeil

Steve and I served in 2 CDO and the pathfinders, he was one of the old guard, he will be missed by all who knew him, Steve mark that DZ for we will all meet again, my brother rest in peace, until we all reunite. Airborne.

6. on 01 Jan 2012 at 11:22 amSteve Melanson

I knew Steve back in the AB Regt early 80’s, he stood out as a great guy, he will be missed.

7. on 01 Jan 2012 at 1:51 pmDan Scully

Served with Steve in 2 Commando, he was a soldiers’ soldier through and through. He’ll be missed and not forgotten.

8. on 01 Jan 2012 at 2:58 pmJesse Adair

Knew Steve in the early eighties in Pet. A good man. js

9. on 01 Jan 2012 at 3:49 pmRon (Hammy) Hamilton

Served with Steve in the late seventies and he was a mentor to all Airborne’s soldiers who had the pleasure to serve with him. And to this day I can remember Steve in Fort Bragg NC., training soldiering both from the Canadian Airborne Regiment and 82nd/101 Airborne div. Which was an experience we will never be forgotten. Steve, as monkey said, mark that DZ for we will all meet again

10. on 01 Jan 2012 at 5:32 pmR Comeau

Haven’t seen Steve in a long time,Gagetown early 80’s I guess. One of those guys you always think you’ll see again somewhere.Will surely be missed by all who knew and served with him.RIP Steve.

11. on 01 Jan 2012 at 6:43 pmmorgan marshall

R.I.P Brother
    Fair Winds…

12. on 01 Jan 2012 at 7:19 pmRIV KENNEDY

IM VERY SADDENED , SERVED WITH STEVE 1RCR, 2RCR, AND CORNWALLIS. VERY KNOWLEDGE AND A OUTSTANDING SOLDIER TO SAY THE LEAST. RIP STEVE.

13. on 01 Jan 2012 at 7:26 pmJames Fournier

You will be missed

Seved with Steve 2 RCR D COY 3 COMMANDO RID Steve

14. on 02 Jan 2012 at 1:49 pmReg

Allso very saddened to hear of Steve’s passing, I served with Steve in Edmonton, Petawawa, & Gagetown. He was always an pleasure to be around, A absolute role model for younger troops, and a true Solder to the core, the world now is a lesser place, see you again in the big DZ in the sky.

15. on 05 Jan 2012 at 9:07 pmDiane Giffin-Boudreau

Thank you so much for the kind remembrances of my brother. Steve shared many experiences with me in the last six months of his life. I remain amazed and very proud of his accomplishments.

16. on 05 Jan 2012 at 9:51 pmWayne Giffin

Wow…thank-you for the nice comments about my father. To this day I can still remember sitting in my kitchen window, of our PMQ in Edmonton, watching you guys do your practice jumps in the distence. I can remember being amazed by what my young eyes saw. I believe that this is the reason that I have always admired my dads chosen profession and the things he has done in his career. Rest In Peace Dad…

Wayne Giffin

17. on 07 Jan 2012 at 9:13 amCathy G

Steve was like a BIG brother to me…Being in Ontario, it was always a treat when he brought us back lobsters. Always willing to help when he could. Rest In Peace Steve.

18. on 07 Jan 2012 at 2:16 pmSharon Hogue

How nice to see all the wonderful comments. Steve was a true soldier through and through. Joining the military at a young age of 16, a paratrooper, a Skyhawk, a qualified Pathfinder. I was always proud of my brother and his career choice. He loved to jump and was a very dedicated soldier.
    Your pain is over. Rest In Peace Steve.
    Love always, Sharon

19. on 08 Jan 2012 at 11:33 amHenry O'Brien

I met Steve six years ago when he came to live in our small community. A quiet man he loved to work at his hobby farm and take care of his amimals. He planted his field with clover and some grain for the deer and spent many hours watching them when they came out to feed. Steve was a good friend and neighbour always ready to lend a hand. He was a mentor to my Grandson Nicholas teaching him many things about the military. Steve served his country with pride and we are proud of him and all the other Men and Women who serve to keep us safe and free. Steve will be sadly missed but, never forgotten. Henry O’Brien and Nicholas Gower

20. on 08 Jan 2012 at 11:36 amLarry Bell

Was with Steve in Edmonton and Petawawa with 2CDO.Good friend and soldier will be missed…RIP Brother

21. on 08 Jan 2012 at 1:09 pmBobby

I served with Steve in Delta Company, 2 Commando in Edmonton and for a short time in Petawawa. He was an excellent soldier and a great friend. He certainly kept the morale up and was the type of guy that would give you the shirt off his back.
    Although it has been a long time since we had a beer and broke bread together, I have never forgotten Steve or any of the other fine men I served with.
    May you rest in peace and when we meet again it is my round.
    Fair winds brother.

22. on 10 Jan 2012 at 3:07 amCharlie Lutz

When Steve was 2rcr welfare officer he helped me in way’s that last to this very day!Still sober Brother,27yrs thank’s in part to you!R.I.P. Steve.Pro Patria.