Airborne Coin

Airborne Coin In the pocket of every member of the Airborne Regiment, if you are lucky enough to be allowed to see it, you will find his most prized possession, his coin. The Airborne coin is not something that is easily obtained, it must be earned.

Airborne Coin An Airborne soldier must carry his coin with him at all times. At any time, another soldier can “coin” you by producing their coin. If you can’t produce your coin, you must buy a round of drinks for every soldier who produces a coin in response to the challenge. If however, everyone produces a coin, it falls on the challenger to buy the round.

Airborne soldiers can be coined in the most unlikely places like the shower, during “check- your-equipment,” while walking down the aisle after being married or even after being pulled over by a cop who noticed the Airborne bumper sticker on your car!

Regimental Standing Orders spell out the issue and allotment of the coins;

GENERAL: “The Paratrooper Coin” – it shall be customary for serving and former members of The Canadian Airborne Regiment and its Battle Group to have this coin always on their person. Failure to produce the Paratrooper Coin when challenged by a possessor of the coin shall entail a forfeit, normally a round of drinks.

DESCRIPTION: The coin is similar in size, weight and appearance to a silver dollar. The obverse side bears the Regimental crest, the reverse side the collar badge and a riband bearing the recipient’s name.

ENGRAVING: On the riband is engraved the last three digits of the SIN, surname and initials. Cost of the engraving is to be borne by the holder.

SUPPLY: The Paratrooper Coins are serialized and controlled by the Regimental Secretariat. New arrivals to the Regiment will be presented with the coin on successful completion of the Airborne Indoctrination Course or after serving on posting with the Regiment or Battle Group for one year. Past members of the Regiment or Battle Group may apply to purchase the coin from the Regimental Kit Shop with a remittance of $5.00.

REPLACEMENTS: Though it is not considered likely that an Airborne soldier could lose his coin, if this situation occurs he may purchase a replacement coin. The replacement coin will carry the same number as the original with the addition of an “R”. Replacement coins may be acquired from the Kit Shop at a cost of $25.00.

Lost and Found Coins

Now that the Regiment has been disbanded, the responsibility for replacing lost coins and for re-uniting found coins with their owners has fallen on the Airborne Kitshop.

Any member who has served with an Airborne unit from 1942 onwards can request a new or replacement coin from the Airborne Kitshop.

If you have found a coin, please contact the Kitshop so that it can be returned to its owner.

18 Responses to “Airborne Coin”

  1. on 21 Mar 2009 at 3:18 pmPaul White

    Was at the The Southworks Market In Cambridge Ontario bearing # 3768 Airborne coin ( this is an Antique Market)

  2. on 04 Nov 2009 at 8:33 pmAl

    I have found an Airborne coin. Links here for found coins are dead. How do I return this to its owner?

  3. on 28 Dec 2010 at 2:50 amdanny mcallister

    i would like to know how to get a replacement coin for the Airborne Indoctrination course i took in 1986 . please let me know where i can go to apply for a replacement one thank you
    Airborne all the way hooowaaww


  4. on 28 Jun 2012 at 2:52 pmMichael McCloy

    Hello. My name is Michael McCloy. I was in the Airborne course 8910. I passed this course and qualified with my 6th jump during this course. I how ever did not receive an Airborne coin. I am not sure if I was supposed to, or not. Can you give me some information on this?

    Thank you.
    Michael McCloy.

    306-979-2125 / 306-202-7660

  5. on 12 Nov 2013 at 6:16 pmcpl dixon

    I own coin number 1806. 1977 airborne 3 cdo and 2 cdo

  6. on 27 Jan 2014 at 3:14 pmDonald Comeau

    Michael sorry to tellyou Bud but you have to have served with the regiment and passed your Airborne indoc course before getting issued your numbered course sorry jumper

  7. on 27 Jan 2014 at 3:16 pmDonald Comeau

    oops I meant coin not course

  8. on 14 Jul 2014 at 8:12 amAlain Joseph Larocque

    I was with the Airborne battery from 1974 till 1976… I lost my coin but I do not remember my number,,, How can I find it?


  9. on 21 Jul 2016 at 9:31 pmKres Milan

    I served in the Canadian Airborne Regiment from 1992. I have lost my Challenge Coin and I don’t remember my number. Can you help me?

  10. on 21 Jul 2016 at 9:33 pmKres Milan

    I served in the Canadian Airborne Regiment from 1992. I have lost my Challenge Coin and I don’t remember my number. Can you help me?
    I do believe the serial number started 42……

  11. on 24 Nov 2016 at 11:29 amCam Pelletier

    I served with 2 Cdo 80-81. In 82 my oldest brother died in an accident and as my coin was the one item of which I was most proud, I placed my coin in his hand when he was buried. Can I replace it now and how do I go about doing that.

  12. on 19 May 2017 at 12:33 pmBob Knapman

    I completed the jump coarse at Rivers Manitoba in 1962 and served for 3 more years with 2nd Battalion RCR in London Ontario being an active jumper for 2 of those years having 13 jumps in total.
    And was paid 30.00 per month jump allowance
    Am I entitled to receive a coin if so ??
    Any thoughts, at 80 it’s more nostalgia

  13. on 04 Jul 2017 at 3:55 amlenny

    Hello. This is Lenny from EVER RICH GIFT LIMITED. I got your information from your website , like COINS AND MEDALS are our main products and we made lost of them everyday , this is why contact for this .To be honest , as a profession manufacturer in China, we think we are competitive in all supplier in China . We have more than 200 workers , and more than 70 salesman , here you can just check our website . Samples will be sent free of charge to you .So we can give you competitive price and better service , at the same time , for any urgent orders we can rush very for you . I am looking forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you and have a nice day .

  14. on 12 Aug 2017 at 6:55 pmRalph Banks

    My ex has decided I don’t need my coin, I would like to order a replacement pls

    Ralph Banks CD
    AIC 1988

  15. on 09 Nov 2017 at 1:13 pmWally Neufeld

    I completed my jump course in April, 1950. Please advise me how to go about getting this coin. Thanks
    E-mail address is

  16. on 10 Mar 2018 at 12:19 amLinda J Cronk

    I was the Airborne Regiment’s secretary from 1968 to 1970. Col “Don” told me I could have a coin as I was a military Brat and also married to a Lord Strathconian Officer. I never received it!

    Can i get one??

  17. on 15 Apr 2018 at 12:28 pmLorne McGlynn

    I was an airborne medic. How do I replace my coin.

    Lorne McGlynn

  18. on 23 Apr 2018 at 5:48 pmSuzanne

    Hello, I have found a coin, with the number 1125, no name is on it. I am hoping to return it to it’s owner. Any ideas or help here?

Leave a Reply